Saturday, February 9, 2013

Slow Down Your Neighbors

I don't know if you've ever seen Modern Family but there's an episode in which a woman loses her mind trying to get a neighborhood speeder to drive more sensibly. She plasters the area in signs that no one understands:


Last night, I watched from my balcony as a beast of a drunk American let lose, encircled by horrified tenants and security guards.

In Liberia, you don't really expect your Friday night cartoon indulgence to be interrupted by a man screaming, "Don't you ever honk at me. Don't you ever disrespect the white man." And that was just the beginning. There were references to blackness and simians and violence. It was vile.

This is 2013.Why do people move to Africa when they clearly, clearly hate Africans? Is there nowhere else in the world to do business? Oh, to have been a sniper last night. I'd have slept like a baby afterwards; I am not a turn-the-other-cheek kind of girl.

You're a Monster

Liberia
ICE 2

Your Neighbors!

No comments: