Thursday, November 22, 2012

Grooves

I used to complain about uninspired, repetitive radio play in the States but the U.S. has nothing on Liberia. One morning, I heard a new Liberian song on my drive to work. Then I heard it again. I went into the bank, returned to the car, and heard the song two more times.

That's four times in twenty three minutes. On the same station.

And it wasn't even a good song. It was bad from the get-go. Combine terrible techno with lazy R&B and every unimaginative lyric you've ever heard.

Much of the catchy music in Liberia isn't Liberian. There's a song in particular by Nigerian twins about a guy whose girlfriend steals money from him. (It's all good, though, because she's beautiful.) This song makes me want to take a running leap into an empty pool. I was sure it had been quarantined to the region until I heard it in a bar in South Africa last month. Nightmare.

On occasion, though, a song will make you feel good and you'll look forward to it on a Friday night. Sometimes I like a song but haven't mastered the lyrics and just decide what the words are. This would probably work in America -- not so much here. One of my favorites, from Ghana, is about a guy...schooling...his girl. And I convinced myself that if I just kept singing along, the lyrics would reveal themselves to me. Today I succumbed to my own OCD and Googled the words. Surprise! Half the damn song is not in English. I know what you're thinking: no big deal, it's like Reggaeton, right? It is NOTHING like Reggaeton! Daddy Yankee's singing a language most of you learn anyway!  (If you retained nothing from high school Spanish, I have no sympathy.) How am I supposed to learn this song!?

Take it slow baby and wind for me
Move it closer and do let me see
You want to know the thing, you for be humble
Make you no dey take am dey gamble
Ino be gidigidi ibe simple
Make you no dey rush am so you no go fumble
Yde agorT yi reba wo fie den ne amirikatuo yi
I can give to you all nite long
If you feel it sing the song
Ybhyeea hyeea ay sono
Ybhye soa hye so a agye s anTpa nTn krono
(Gye s anTpa nTn krono) ansaana ybie yn pono yeaa
P wizzle tell al di likkle gal dem

I asked Will if I was the only one in Liberia singing songs in languages that knot my tongue -- surely Liberians, many of whom were displaced by the war, picked up the dialects of neighboring countries and understand the songs they are shaking to on the dance floor?

Not so.

Kinda cool, though, no? And trusting, like getting a tattoo in a language you can't read. Sadly, I am not a trusting person and will be translating all tunes from now on.

No comments: